So you are at a family get together and there is a fantastic photo op about to happen and boom the dreaded “Cannot Take Photo” message. You frantically delete some photos that you know you will never want again and you ponder over others, wondering if your iCloud really has them backed up. By the time that is all over… the moment has passed.
If you are a snap happy person or have a lot of music on your iPhone and it happens to be a 16gb model, then chances are you will know the pain all too well. I know this pain and what I wanted was a way to keep things simple. I wanted to be able to plug my iPhone into my mac, have it copy all my images over so that I could delete at individually or all at once, knowing they were safe. I generally try to keep 2 – 4gb of space free on my iPhone. You can have it set to delete all the photos on your iPhone after import also, but I never used that option.
I came across a solution a few years ago and now here it is for you. Just bare in mind that this only works if you plug your iPhone into your Mac, it does not work if you are trying to just do it over WIFI.
- Plug in your iPhone into your mac and open “Image Capture” , (press cmd + space and search)
- Create a folder that you want the images to be copied to and select this in the “Import To:” area. You will also need to change the area that says “Connecting this iPhone opens” and make sure “AutoImporter.app” is selected
- You can now manually import all the photos and close the app and disconnect your iPhone. If you reconnect it again, you should see the AutoImporter box open and see images being copied.
***Disclaimer – This only copies your images from your phone to your mac. You should also back your images up on an external hard drive and some other storage media. Hard drives DO and WILL fail at some point. Don’t be that guy that loses everything ***
- It should just overwrite the images each time i.e. it won’t copy new versions of the same image over and over again if you keep re-connecting your phone. You will just have one copy
- I don’t use my iCloud for images, so I don’t know what effect it has on it, I am assuming you will still run out of storage space
- You can use Image Capture to quickly delete photos from your iPhone permanently
- You can have all the images deleted off your iPhone at the same time if you wish check checking that box
- Remember to BACK UP YOUR MAC!
Any questions, drop them in the comments section below.